Wednesday, September 30, 2009

First Critique Down!

This past week or so has been especially crazy. We are quickly approaching mid-terms so I have practically moved into my studio. Caffeine has quickly become a very good friend of mine. I have this theory that there is some kind of time warp in the studio. I swear I get to working and it only feels like a few minutes have gone by, but when I look up it has been like four hours! How can that happen? It makes me wish I could get more done sometimes. But it has been noticed by my professor how much time I spend working, so that is a good thing for sure.
I had my first critique in Grad ceramics today. While I didn't have anything completely done, I had a lot of work to show the class. I have been trying out a lot of different techniques on a variety of different pots. The best way to go is just to make as much as possible. It seems like quantity eventually leads to quality =). Just this past week, I have really been figuring out what I want to be doing. I am sure there will be more confusion to come, but I do not see any more break downs in my near future. Yes folks, only a month into the semester, and I already had a mini nervous breakdown lol. I recovered quickly. Luckily, I had a good friend to hold my hand, so to speak, through it. Friends have been a real blessing for me that is for sure.
Next week is the mid-term critiques for the grad program. They are small group critiques. I will have professors coming in and out of my studio throughout the day in groups of 2 or 3 to critique what work I have done. I am firing my work this weekend. It is a kiln I have never fired before so I am definitely hoping for the best. One thing is for sure that it will be a learning experience no matter what happens.
The semester continues to breeze by. I cannot believe how quickly it all happens. I have had plenty to do to keep me focused and busy. So my thoughts are positive, and I hope to be able to report a good critique at the end of next week.

Off to the studio! Who needs sleep?

No comments:

Post a Comment